Skip to main content

Hello? Is Anyone Out There?

I know, I know...the blog has been deathly silent for the past five (has it really been five?) months. That is partly due to that fact that life in Ecuador is just that, life. No longer caught by surprise by that man peeing on the street corner, or the countless iguanas crossing the road. I hate to say it, but it's all become part of the expected. Even our vacations are becoming a bit repetitive. I could tell you about how I went paragliding over Thanksgiving, but I'm pretty sure I have a post about that. I could wax elegantly about school life, but let me check....yep, got those too. Not wanting to repeat myself over and over, I've let the blog lapse a bit. There has been no new news to report.

That is, until now.

This overseas living and teaching tends to have its own rhythms. In November, the wave of decision comes crashing in. Will you stay and renew your contract? Or, will you throw caution to the wind and try your luck with somewhere else. For those who choose to stay put, their overseas living resumes a sense of normalcy. But for those who are taking their chances with the great unknown, life becomes a turmoil of indecision, questioning, waiting, hoping, and general panic of "Oh my word, I have quit my job and have no where to go. Please don't make me live in my parent's basement" until the months of February and March. That is an incredibly long time to live in panic and worry. Trust me...much longer than you would think.

Dave and I decided in early November that we were ready to move on from the wonderful adventures of Ecuador. It was a really tough decision, but one that we felt we were ready for. We knew that this decision would send us on an emotional roller coaster until we could figure out what was going to happen next. And an emotional roller coaster it was; I bounced from having to bite my tongue so I wouldn't beg my director for my job back, to questioning whether I even wanted to continue teaching for the next two or so years. Working at a book shop was starting to sound mighty appealing (all those books! everywhere you look! heaven!)

We eventually decided to try to find another overseas position; with the understanding that if that did not pan out, I could start searching for that book store employment. We signed up for the annual overseas fair in Boston, crossed our fingers, and went on living life in Ecuador for three l-o-n-g months.

The time of the job fair has finally arrived, and let me tell you--it has been a whirlwind. Dave and I arrived in Boston on Wednesday, registered for the fair on Thursday, begged for interviews from 7:00-12:00 on Friday, began interviews at noon until 10:30 that same day, and went back for second and third interviews today. We met so many incredible people, looked at some many interesting and progressive schools, and interviewed with just about a country from each corner of the world. We interviewed with Turkey, Lebanon, Senegal, Vietnam, Eritrea (yeah, I didn't know where that one was either), Connecticut (I know! What?), Hong Kong, and Brazil. We met in formal interviews, we skyped, we mingled at the cocktail party, we met in 2nd interviews, and then 3rd interviews. It was exhausting, exhilarating, and eye-opening.

And it all led to the pivotal moment of our overseas living wave. The job offer. The next assignment. The next life changing adventure.

Here's your hint:



Hope to see you there and stay tuned for a whole new wave of adventures at the Richert Ranch.

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

Yes or No?

A couple weeks ago, slipped in the far reaches of my mailbox, I found a note that took me back to the good ol' days of elementary school.   You know what I'm talking about. Remember how you would just be sitting at your desk, one leg pumping back and forth, pencil eraser nudging your bottom lip, as you tried to puzzle out those mind-boggling multiplication tables?  And then, out of the corner of your eye, you would see Andy passing a note to Melissa, who would then pass it on to Mark, who would then palm it off to you right before Mrs. Nelson turned around from the blackboard.  Your name would be written all in cursive and curly-q's on the clumsily folded paper.  Carefully, stealthily, you unfold the paper to find: Well, InterAmerican sent me a 'check yes or no' note, and it raised the same sensation of anxiety that those old love notes of yesterday used to inspire.  Instead of the traditional, "do you like me?" question, it was the "will you continue