Skip to main content

Tuesday Prize Day

Tuesdays have long been my favorite day of the week, ever since my sister (many years ago) happened to notice that her birthday that year fell on a Tuesday. For weeks before her birthday, she would celebrate Tuesdays with her family and loved ones. Sometimes she would write a note for us, sometimes she had a little treat. The entire family joined the Tuesday celebration bandwagon and Tuesday Prize Day was born. When I went to college, my mom would often make sure my care packages would arrive on Tuesdays or my dad would send me his weekly e-mail on Tuesday. I started celebrating the day with my friends, leaving them notes in their mailboxes or buying them a coffee. My friends started celebrating it themselves and before we knew it, Tuesday Prize Day was sweeping the nation. :) Okay, maybe not sweeping the nation, but it is definitely celebrated at various points throughout the country by various groups of people.

Dave and I, along with Jodi and her beautiful family, still celebrate the joyous Tuesday by having dinner together on that special night of the week. This last Tuesday, Jodi and little Blake came over for the Richert's Mac and Cheese special (recipe found below). Dinner went great, Blake entertained us while eating and Jodi and I were able to catch up on what had been happening during the week. Uncle Dave then decided to have Blake help him wash the car and that is when the fun really began. Blake took his job so seriously, telling me that he was, "going to make the car all shiny." He only got slightly soaked during the process and was enthralled with the bucket of soapy water, especially once the water turned dingy brown. It was so much fun to watch him, and Dave really enjoyed having his help, even when Blake overshot the car with the hose and ended up getting Dave wet instead. It was a great Tuesday Prize Day.

Mac and Cheese Deliciousness:

Ingredients:
One pint grape tomatoes
Large elbow macaroni
One can evaporated milk
1/4 cup egg substitutes
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut grape tomatoes into halves and place in an 8 x 8 glass cooking dish that has been greased. Salt and pepper tomatoes.
Bake tomatoes for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook elbow macaroni in large pot of boiling water for about seven minutes. When pasta is done, drain and turn stove top heat down to medium. Return pasta to pot and add evaporated milk, egg substitutes, cheddar cheese, and tomatoes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat, serve it up and sprinkle bread crumbs on the top.

Easy, fast, and oh so delicious. I like to add about 1/4 cup of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese to the recipe to give it a little bit of a bite. Yummy.

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: