Skip to main content

Tag!! You're It!


I was never very good at the childhood game of tag.  First off, I was not the fastest kid on the block.  I really was only ever willing to run if a dog was chasing me, which tended to happen every once in awhile.  

My second deterrent to becoming a tag master was my complete lack of an attention span.  I've been known to get distracted pretty easily.  Oh look, something shiny.  Not the greatest skill in a cutthroat game of tag.  I learned to avoid the schoolyard game by hanging out in the library during recess.  

Once I had found my sanctuary in Mrs. Hayes library, I thought I had left my tag days behind me.  Not so.  My dear friend, Lisa, has brought the shouts of "tag!!  you're it!" back ringing in my ears.  Though this particular tag game has changed rules (no running!!), I find that my skills are still lacking.  Lisa has tagged me three times, once here, here, and here.  Okay, so the first time I had just moved to a new country.  I was a little overwhelmed by my surroundings.  The second time I never stood a chance, the tag game was centered around books!  I opened my nearest book to play along but I ended up opening to one of the best parts of the story.  Before I knew it, I was curled up on the couch re-experiencing the lives of the Hamilton's and the Trask's.  I guess I still get distracted pretty easily.   

This time, I'm in the game.  I'm ready.  Bring it on.

Seven Favorite Things From the Past Week:

1. Good Friends + Great Beach = Fabulous Times
Last Friday, Dave and I headed to Montanita with our good friends, Cate and Brian.  We spent a wonderful weekend hanging out on the beach, body-boarding, eating wonderful food (including ceviche made right on the beach!), and spending a good amount of time talking and laughing.  It was such a wonderful, relaxing weekend.  Perfect experience before the onslaught of parent and teacher conferences that took place this Tuesday and Wednesday.

2.  Chilling out, Maxing, Relaxing All Cool
Parent-Teacher conferences were this week.  Though I love the opportunity to talk with my students' parents, there is no denying that this can be a stressful time of the school year.  I always want to make sure that I address any of the parent's concerns and not overwhelm them with my own.  That's why I was so happy to join our friends Mark, Sarah, Cate, Brian, and Vanessa for an after-conference pool party after the last conference wrapped up.  The sun was out, the pool was cold, and the company was wonderful.  The afternoon festivities were even topped off with a home-cooked meal from Sarah.

3. Sorry kids, no papers are being graded tonight.  I'm rockin' out with Guitar Hero

I know it is going to sound like Dave and I do nothing but get together with our friends, but...

Our friends, Ray and Sylvia, invited us over to their house Friday night for some dinner and guitar hero.  Now, I've heard all the rage about Guitar Hero, but I left my video game days way back when Mario and his brother ruled the land.  After rockin' it out on "We've Got the Beat," I might now be addicted.  The good company and good food also made the night a lot of fun.

4.  Those seasons, they are a changing
Summer seems to be on its way out in Guayaquil and winter is making its entrance.  What this really means is that the temperature is going from 90 degrees to 80 degrees, but I'll take it.  It also means that the rain has stopped.  I'll miss the beautiful lightning storms, but I won't miss wearing rain pants every day.  The lack of rain also means that the mosquitoes are going to go back to whatever evil place they come from.  I haven't been bit for the last three days.  The lack of rain leads me to favorite thing number five.

5.  Finally Hitting the Hills

Dave and I haven't been able to go mountain biking since January.  The rains turned our nearby trails into slicks of mud, actually it was more like sticky clay.  We have had to get our biking fix in by doing intervals, riding at max speed and resistance for two minutes then two minutes of recovery cycling, through our gated community.  Now, don't get me wrong-I've become quite the fan of intervals.  But nothing really beats mountain biking for me.  I love the focus that I get while I'm climbing, and the downhill makes the climbing all worth it.  

Because it has not rained for the last week, Dave and I decided to see what shape the hills were in today.  We were very happy to find that the mud slicks were gone, the path (service road) had been cleared and was not rutted out, and the rain had left behind the most lush, green, and beautiful scenery.  The ride is a little over three miles of climbing (oh my poor calves) but that also means over three miles of downhill.  We weren't necessarily expecting to make it to the top, but it felt so great to be mountain biking again that we couldn't stop ourselves. 

6. It's a bird!  It's a plane!  No, it's a blue morpho butterfly!

I love the lush, ever-blooming, colorful environment of Ecuador.  I have seen more flowers, plants, and animals in the past seven months than I have in my entire life.  My favorite are the butterflies.  There are so many different and beautiful butterflies that dodge in, out, and all over the plants and flowers.  While we were mountain biking today, Dave and I rode through a rock bed with a small stream running across.  As we rode over the stream, thirty or so butterflies rose from the stream and fluttered around us.  It was amazing.  As we climbed the trail, we spotted countless blue morpho butterflies.  These guys are the size of a saucer and the most vibrant blue.  It was so peaceful to watch them fly over our heads as we overlooked the valley below.

7.  Love like Laughter
It goes without saying that laughing with Dave is always my favorite thing.  I'm not sure how he does it, but he makes me laugh every single day.  He doesn't just make me crack a smile or illicit from me a restrained chuckle.  Oh no, it is more like gut-wrenching belly laughs that can be heard across oceans.  And each time I feel that laughter rising up in me, I fall in love with him more and more.  My greatest thrill is when I can make him laugh just as hard.  


Whew...I did it.  Now it is your turn to envision running around the schoolyard, scattering to all corners.  Tag Kate, Coly, April, Jodi, and Sarri, you're it.  Have fun

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: