Skip to main content

No More Classes, No More Books...

Whew...

I survived my first year of teaching overseas, which reminded me a lot of my very first year teaching.  Both of the years were filled with stress, confusion, many sleepless nights, and many new discoveries.   

Actually, I think that this year of overseas teaching was more difficult than the first time I stepped into a classroom, fresh out of college and completely clueless.  That very first year there was a good reason for my confusion and countless mistakes, I didn't know teaching would be any different.  I didn't know that the many things that seemed impossible at the time, I would develop strategies to work through, that they would become easier.  Ignorance was in fact bliss.  

I went into overseas teaching thinking I had some experience under my belt that would transfer over.  But nothing could really prepare me for the drastic changes teaching at a school that  only has 200 students for grades nursery to 12th grade.  Instead of preparing for one class, and having the opportunity to perfect that lesson because I was going to be teaching it seven times, I prepared for five different classes from 6th grade to 12th grade.  And I only had one shot at getting each lesson right.  Also, even though I was feeling the same stress as a first year teacher, I had the memory of a teacher who has taught a few years and has figured out some necessary stress-reducing strategies.  Except, none of the strategies I had gathered seemed to work in my classrooms this time of year.  I constantly felt like a first year teacher who knew she should, and was capable of, being better.  The memory of being more "together" as a teacher was frustrating.  

But, just like that first adventure in teaching, the year ended on a high note, leaving me excited and full of plans for my second year.  I attended my first graduation ceremonies for my students.  One was for my eighth grade students, who were "graduating" into high school.  I had the pleasure of saying a few words at the promotion ceremony for the ten students who kept me laughing, thinking, and learning throughout the past year.  I'm sure I wowed the crowd with my poetic reading of Dr. Seuss.  I'm telling you, the only wisdom you will ever need comes from this man.

The second ceremony was the graduation of the seniors.  This shindig was definitely the fanciest I have ever been to, especially thinking back to my own graduation.   My invitation stated that I was also invited to the graduation dinner and that formal attire was expected.  Well, I wore the only dress I brought to Ecuador and definitely looked a bit out of place amidst all of the ballgowns.  The hour before the ceremony was like watching the red carpet of all graduations.  I had a great time oohing and ahhing along with one of my sixth grade students.  

The evening started at 7:00, with the dinner following the brief graduation ceremony of the 14 seniors from InterAmerican.  I left at 11:00, soon after dessert was served, but one of my middle school students told me that his family left at 4:00 in the morning.    The dinner included an introduction dance with the seniors and their parents, toasts, speeches, and picture presentations.  I heard that the evening ended with acrobat performers, bands, and revelers.  They really do know how to celebrate in this country!

Another highlight from this year was "field trip extravaganza."  The last week of school, while the high school students were sweating over their finals, I chaperoned four field trips in five days for the middle school.  It is amazing that I survived the week, and am able to still form words and express thought.  Even though the week was exhausting and at times seemed never-ending, it was also a lot of fun to spend time with the kids outside of the classroom.  They always seem so shocked to realize that their teachers can have fun too.  


Our week o' field trips included:
*Bowling--I used some skills that were last seen during the Kevin, Gordo, and Gimpy days.
*Movie--Iron Man, with the movie commentary of 40 middle school students, is pretty entertaining.
*Field day--The highlight had to be watching the pre-k students trying to win a tug-of-war game with the kinder class.  Hilarious.
*San Pablo--Best.  Day.  Ever.  The kids spent an entire day at the village helping to set up the community center, planting trees, and making the playground a little brighter.  It was wonderful to share one of my new-found passions with the kids and to see them get excited about service.  
*Water Park--I couldn't let on to my sixth grade students that I was scared spitless of some of the water slides.  There were many times I wanted to turn back down the stairs and return to solid ground, but when you have the majority of your class lining the edge of the pool waiting to see you sail down and fly into the water, you aren't left with much choice but to buck up and ride. 

The last day of school was a half-day with the students, complete with an awards ceremony and a middle school/high school round of jeopardy, and a catered lunch for the staff.  Even though I had to say goodbye to a lot of new friends on Friday, such is the life of an overseas teacher, I also got to celebrate the fact that I survived, I succeeded, and summer is finally here!

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: