Skip to main content

Adventure A'Plenty

I'm a big fan of my friend Jill's blog.  She and her family are currently living in Japan and she is documenting all the family adventures they are experiencing during their time in Asia.  She recently wrote that she hasn't been blogging for awhile because things are starting to feel normal for her in Japan, there is the "been there, done that" feeling about the things she comes across on a day to day basis.  I know exactly what she is talking about...I'm starting to feel that way about Ecuador.  It isn't that I don't know I am having the experience of the lifetime, it is just that the experience is starting to feel like normal life.  That is, until this past weekend.

This last weekend, which marked the first break in 9 weeks of school (crazy, right?  No one is supposed to spend that much time with 6th and 7th graders in one pop), Dave and I had one of those Ecuador adventures that makes us hardly believe we are lucky enough to live this life. 

Thursday, almost as soon as the last bell of the day rang, Dave and I threw some things in a bag and headed to the airport.  After waiting for over an hour for our delayed flight, we finally arrived in Quito to begin our mountain biking extravaganza.

We booked a two-day mountain biking trip along a couple of Ecuador's more famous volcanoes, Chimborazo and Cotopaxi.  Even though the trip was completely downhill riding and really no hard work was put into the rides, you want to know what my favorite thing to say right now is?  

"Yeah, I've been mountain biking in the Andes."  

The Andes people!!  That is awesome.  And never going to get old.

Dave and I, along with our awesome guide Mo and fellow bikers Francesca and Martin, began our biking adventure early Friday morning.  We drove to the first base of Cotopaxi with Mo giving us some history of the area as we made our way up the dirt road.  The landscape was beautiful, and reminded me a bit of Southern Idaho, with it's desert feel, lava rocks, and sparse grasses.  We even came across a field of wild horses as we made our way through the valley at the base of Cotopaxi.  It was also the first single track we have seen in months, as in 15 months.  Dave and I were in heaven.

After our four hours of biking, we loaded up the bikes and headed to the small town bordering Chimborazo for the night.  On the way, our guide made a stop in one of Ecuador's small towns.  Now, one of the greatest characteristics of this country is the fact that there are many villages that specialize in just one thing.  All the shops and businesses seem to be centered around one commercial item.  There is a village that sells all leather products, one that sells wood carvings, one that specializes in the wonderful bizcoche treats.  And then there is the village our guide took us to this weekend, one that specializes in ice cream.  Possibly the best ice cream I have ever had.  

It is a four-flavor party in the mouth. Sweet leche, ontop of mora, followed by naranjilla, and rounded out by taxo.  De-to-the-licious.

After a semi-good night's sleep, our group headed to Chimborazo, Ecuador's highest summit.  Our biking adventure started at the first refuge, right after the four of us climbed to the second refuge of the volcano.  It was beautiful, cold, snowy, and a wonderful way to spend the morning.
Our hike ended right as the rest of the Ecuadorian tourists showed up.  We quickly suited up and began the bike ride down to the entrance of the Chimborazo National Park.  Unfortunately, clouds had settled around the base of the mountain and we had to ride in a thick fog.  It was also freezing (a sensation I don't often feel here in Ecuador) and my gloves and bike began to frost up as I rode down the mountain.  I thought for sure that my fingers were going to fall off and all I was thinking was, "how am I going to teach Language Arts  if I don't have my fingers?"

Can you see the frost built up on my gloves?  Trust me, it was there.

After we warmed up, and the feeling once again returned to our limbs, we began the last stage of our biking extravaganza.  We rode for over twenty kilometers through the most beautiful landscape I have yet seen in Ecuador.  It was a lush, green, canyon road boardered by a twisting river.  We passed through tiny villages, had lunch alongside the river with an Ecuadorian shepherd watching over his huge flock of sheep, saw a rodeo, and heard a small village band practicing for an up-coming festival.  We also met a fellow biker, a little more hard-core because he biked up and then down the twisting road.  

By the time we reached our stopping point, we were all exhilerated, worn-out, and definitely ready for more ice cream!

And yes, this is a statue the town has erected as a monument to their ice cream.  Awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: