Skip to main content

Whew...What a Week

Dave and I have been housebound the last week.  Let me tell you, an unexpected week off of work is not always as enjoyable as you would think.  

Living in a developing nation, you have to be willing to accept some unpleasant things that are going to come your way.  You will be robbed at some point, just go with the flow.  Your plans will never go as expected (What?  You don't have my hotel reservation?  Or the $50 deposit I have already made?).  And, you will contract some awful virus or bacteria.  Guaranteed.  The latter is what struck the Richert's this past week.

Yep, right there is just your basic case of conjunctivitis (a.k.a. pink eye).  I know, gross.  We are pretty sure that it found its way to us via Ecuador's stellar bus system.  I began noticing the problem on the way home from our relaxing eco-resort getaway.  Thinking that something had flown into my eye due to the open windows of the bus, I worried it like nothing else trying to get it out.  This is what caused the extensive hemorrhaging in my left eye, causing me to look like a demon possessed extra in some horror film.  Not my best look.  

By Monday morning, my eye had completely swollen shut and the school doctor quickly sent me to an optometrist.  This is where I learned that conjunctivitis is extremely contagious, that it can be contracted through the air, and that it takes six to ten days to recover from.  Uhmm...excuse me, what?  That is beyond my worst nightmare.  You see, I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe, (Molly, I can hear you laughing at me right now) which doesn't always work for me living in Ecuador.  I've been washing my hands obsessively, especially because some fever disease has been making its way through our school community, and this woman tells me this virus is airborne?  Are you kidding me?  

I went right home, armed with three different types of eye drops, and have been here ever since.  Dave came down with it on Monday night and has been suffering with me.  We missed classes, parent/teacher conferences, and had to back out of chaperoning activities.  We've been playing a lot of cards, watching (mainly listening to those first couple of days) a lot of movies, and once our eyes stopped watering and gooing, doing a lot of reading.  I'm exhausted.

The highlight definitely was receiving the get-well card from the 6th and 7th graders at school.  Our friend Sarah helped them make it.  There are pictures of each kid next to a little written message.  Man, they are hilarious.  I laughed so hard that I cried my eye-drops out.  ("I hope you come back soon.  The substitute is getting mad at us; I think she is getting stressed").

Okay, here is the lesson kids:  It doesn't always matter what we do to try to avoid what we are afraid of; sometimes it is going to fly right straight into our eye anyways.  Maybe it isn't what we do to avoid our little fears, but how we survive them that matters.

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: