Skip to main content

Seattle Adventures

This post is a little late in coming, but I didn't want to write about the wonderful trip I was able to take with my mom and aunt until I had some pictures to go along with it!


At the end of June, my mom and aunt travelled to Seattle with me. I had to attend an AP Literature course and my mom and aunt agreed to keep me company when I was not in class. Now, it must be understood that Jan Silvers (the mom) and Juli Hall (the aunt) are two of the most fun people to travel and adventure with. It is not uncommon for my dad, uncle, or Dave to call when the three of us are together and only hear peals of laughter. The conversations usually go something like this:


"Danielle? It's Dave."
Only response laughter and then mumbled comment in the background.
"What was that? I can't quite hear..."
More laughter.
"Yeah, I'm having a good time too. All by myself. Say, what's so funny?"
Laughter, giggles, laughter.
"Well, sounds like you're busy. I'll call later."
Laughter then silence.

Needless to say, you could put us in a symposium about the history of dirt and we would have a good time. So it was no big surprise when I asked Mom and Juli to spend the week with me in Seattle, I wanted to laugh and play and have fun when I was finished with a class I was sure was going to be long and somewhat boring (I was right about that one). I told Dave I wasn't asking him to go because he had to work, but I think we both knew the truth.

Laugh, play, and have fun we did. We went a day before my conference started so that we could have an entire day to explore Seattle together. We flew in early and ate breakfast at a wonderful place in Queen Anne, called The 5 Spot. The restaurant changes their menu and theme every few months. This time the theme was Hawaii-Five and the menu include papaya pancakes with coconut candied bacon. Delicious.

We then made our way to the Experience Music Project museum that can be found near the Space Needle. The museum was incredible! It had a recording and demo lab where you could make your own CD, an instrument learning lab, a guitar exhibit, and the history of music from the Northwest. It was fun to travel back in time to high school and "re listen" to bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

After the museum, we decided we should check into the hotel IA had booked for me. Once we finally found the place, we were told that they had overbooked their rooms and had to put us at one of their sister hotels. This normally would not have been that big of an issue, but the conference I was attending was sending a shuttle to pick us up at only selected hotels. My hotel initially told me that transportation to the conference was my problem, but after much discussion (thank you Aunt Juli) and some key phone calls the hotel finally agreed to pay for a taxi to take me back and forth. They also upgraded my room so that Mom and Aunt Juli could stay with me and the first night was on the house. This experience is another reason Aunt Juli makes such a great travel companion, she can get things done!

The rest of the week we spent shopping, eating out, and laughing. We got lost countless times, even taking an unexpected trip to Mercer Island, and found shortcuts only to forget them the next day. I would spend the days in class while Aunt Juli and my mom would explore Seattle and the surrounding towns, making sure that they let me know when they were getting a pedicure, found a great lunch spot, or were still in bed. They discovered the Bellview Mall and took the Underground Tour of Seattle. When I was out of class, we would find the restaurant of the night (usually recommended to us by our waiter of the previous night), window shop, laugh, and talk.

I had a great time and am so glad that I was able to spend the week with my mom and aunt before I leave. I'm hoping that I can convince them to take another trip with me to Peru next summer! Come on ladies, what do you say? Mother/Daughter Tour South American Edition?

PS. The Ecuadorian Countdown is now at 5 days! Holy Moly--I better start packing!

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: