Skip to main content

Oh, the Places We've Gone...

Daily Occurrence: Dave and I look at each other, eyes going wide with astonishment, and whisper, "Can you believe that we are in Ecuador?"

We just can't seem to grasp the reality of our lives. The last two weeks have brought experiences and sights to our lives that we never expected to be a part of. It is overwhelming, exhilarating, and sometimes exhausting.

Dave and I travelled with a group of teachers this weekend to a small coastal town called Puerto Lopez. We went through many villages along the way where we had to dodge wild pigs, stray dogs, and manage to not be deterred by the two kids holding a rope across the road, creating a make-shift tollbooth. We passed buildings that were falling apart, but still housing a family of ten or more. A lot of poverty, a lot of filth, and a lot of need. When we reached Puerto Lopez, all I saw at first were the stray dogs and the broken up roads. But once we were out of the van and walking through the main street of town, we came across the people. Everyone we met was so kind, helpful, and truly happy. I spent the majority of the weekend with questions bouncing around my head, "what do I truly need to be this happy? What do I have that doesn't fit into what I need?"

I also know that we played a very important role in Puerto Lopez. A role that helps to sustain the livelihood of the residents in this small coastal town. We were tourists, and they were happy to have these American gringos, who were so willing to spend money, passing through their village.

We stayed in a small, but very clean, hostel that was a couple of blocks away from the beach. The walls were a bit thin, but the bed was comfortable and the shower had actual hot water. After we had settled into our rooms and dropped off our luggage, we found a wonderful beach side restaurant that served the best seafood I have ever had. The group of us ate, talked, and laughed the evening away and returned to the hostel tired and very full.

The next morning we walked down to the beach again and waited for the small boat that would take us into the Pacific to watch the migration of the whales.


The boat ride was about four hours long, much of it spent in search of the whales. There were about twenty of us on the boat, and all of us were eagerly searching for any sign of the migrating animals. When we spotted a burst of water breaking the ocean's surface, we all pointed and called out. The boat would then slowly make its way to where we thought the whales might be traveling. I was sitting towards the back of the boat and once it had slowed a bit, one of the guides motioned for me to climb up to the very top. I had the best seat in the house. Before I knew it, we were right in the middle of a group of whales. They were breaking through the water at twenty yards away. I could see their huge forms underneath the water before they would dive up and dive back down. There were at least six whales swimming around our boat, coming towards us and then turning around. I think they were curious about this large shape that had suddenly joined their play time. It was breathtaking and the most incredible thing I have ever seen. I have decided that one of the most beautiful sounds is hearing the whales break through the surface of the water.

As we headed back to shore, Dave looked behind him and saw the whales jumping out of the water.

When we got back to land, we ate lunch at a place called the Whale Cafe. The owners were American and I hate to admit that it was a nice break to have the menu in English. The food was also delicious and overlooked the fisherman on the beach. Dave and I went for a swim in the incredibly warm ocean before dinner and was even able to squeeze in some shopping at the artisan market.

When we headed back to Puerto Azul, we stopped in little villages along the way. We went to Montonita, the hippy beach, and to an incredible pie shop. We stopped at nursery's and artisan markets. Dave and I even bought new wedding bands made out a Tagua nut for only $1. We didn't want our original bands to get damaged by the weather or stolen by someone who take the bands as signs we have money.

The weekend was also a wonderful time to get to know some of my coworkers and for Dave and I to start building a network of friends here. I can hardly wait for the next adventure!

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: