Skip to main content

Uhhh....You Try It First

Going to the grocery store in Guayaquil has turned into quite the weekly adventure. Especially in the produce aisles. Each week, Dave and I try to find one new item that we have never seen before and work it into our diet.

We played it pretty safe the first couple weeks, buying packaged items that can only be classified as the greatest junk food ever. Seriously, I'm not sure how I've gone 29 years without these items in my life.

Our first discovered treasure are Chifles. These babies are the greatest twist on banana chips ever known. They are actually made from plantains, so instead of being sweet they are savory. I believe they are Ecuador's challenge to the potato chip and challenge they are. If you open a bag, the temptation is greater than Lays. There is no way you are eating just one. Besides, how can you resist the Chifle mascot? That handsome devil who grins at you from every bag, flexing his muscle and giving you the thumbs up sign. It's almost as if he is saying, "Go ahead, have some. They make you strong and likable. Life is great with a bag of Chifles."

You've got to balance the saltiness of Chifles with our next discovery. The Coco Classic Cookie. Oh. My. Goodness. These could possibly be the best cookies I have ever tasted. They are comparable to a shortbread cookie with a hint of coconut flavor. During school I have found myself daydreaming about the delicious snack that awaits me at home, a couple (who am I kidding? It is more like four. Okay, six) of Coco Classic cookies spread with heavenly Nutella. Dave and I have to eat this wonderful duo at the same time because we both have a fear that one of us will get more of this treat than the other. Isn't that what marriage is built on, the concept of even-stevens?

The third week, still a little apprehensive of what we might find in the produce section, we wandered over to the bakery section and brought home the closest thing to pretzels we have been able to find, Rosquitas Trenzadas. We have a bit of a preference for the Rosquitas con Queso, partly because cheese is not Ecuador's strongest offering and anything that has the hint of the taste of cheddar, we grab up. These babies are pretty good and they come in the ultra-fun braided ring. Though they do not provide the satisfying crunch of a pretzel, they are still pretty delicious and the only snack that can duo as a ring-toss game.

Finally, last week we ventured into the produce section. After thorough observation of other customers and the all important scent test, we decided to bring home granadilla. The fruit had a hard-outer shell, which seemed safe enough, and the smell was a bit citrus and crisp. All good signs. We got our surprise when we cracked the sucker open.

What laid before our eyes was orange, slimy, goo. Uhmmm...not what we expected. But daring souls that we are, we scooped it up, said a little prayer and ate. It was actually quite yummy, once you get over the texture and the feeling that you are eating insect eggs. We later discovered that we were eating a member of the passion fruit family. It was a great first intro to the world of Ecuadorian fresh produce too. This week we grabbed more granadilla as well some sort of orange melon doodads that look like cherries.

Oh--I have to go. Dave should be home from swimming soon and I think I have just enough time to sneak in a couple Coco Classics with Nutella. Shhhh...don't tell.

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: