Skip to main content

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things...

I'm a bit homesick right now (what else is new?) and have been a bit mopey lately.  I'm not admitting anything, but I might have spent a considerable amount of time this weekend (read hours and hours) watching Grey's Anatomy and Buffy the Vampire Slayer while laying listlessly on the couch.  Eating cupcakes.  I know, pathetic.

This morning, I woke up a little irritated that I had wasted so much time moping around instead of taking advantage of the beautiful outdoors.  I don't regret the cupcakes though, those suckers were delicious.  

I need to get out of this funk, and I have the perfect solution.  To combat these homesick blues, I have decided to focus on the positive and give a little shout-out to those things that make my day a little brighter.  

1.  Spork--Dave's blog about our adventures in Ecuador.  Now, I know that I live with the man and get to experience his humor on a daily basis, but his blog supplies the necessary Richert silliness in the middle of my work day when I can't get the live version.  His last post was a tribute to our adorable nephew, Blake.  It's Dave's take on what took place during the graduation ceremony of Blake's pre-school class.  I laughed so hard that I was pretty close to having an embarrassing accident.

2. iTunes--I'm hopelessly addicted to iTunes.  It is retail therapy, not to mention instant
 gratification, for only 99 cents.  Absolutely brilliant.  Dave and I have this iTunes game going on, which I think everyone should try out, where we take turns buying each other a song.  We call it music tag.  The rules are pretty simple--once we are tagged "it," we have fifteen minutes to find a song from an artist/band that we have never heard of before and that is in a style that we believe the other will enjoy.  We are making an ultimate tag playlist that includes artists like Amos Lee, Flight of the Conchords, HorrorPops, She & Him, and Crooked Still.  So much fun.

3.  Pictures!!--
Pictures are my closest ties to home, as well as a great reminder why my current location is so cool.  Besides that, I've found a great website that makes arranging pictures and posting them so much fun.  I've gotten a lot of questions about the picture collages that pop up on "Living the Good Life" from time to time.  I'm spilling the secret here folks, I will be expecting wondrous collages and other picture fun on all of your blogs.  All you need is a flickr account and access to bighugelabs.com/flickr.  This site lets you create all the collages you could ever want, plus jigsaw puzzles, cubes, calendars, name tags, magazine covers, and anything else you dream up for your pictures.


4.  The Weepies--I found this band during the music tag mentioned above.  The duo is presented as folk rock, which I am finding that I am more and more into as I get closer to thirty.  They are the perfect lazy weekend soundtrack.  Mellow, comforting, with harmonies that inspire sing-a-longs.  My favorite song of theirs right now is Can't Go Back Now.  They are definitely worth going to iTunes and checking out.  

5.  Skype--I heart skype.  It is an amazing service that allows you to call loved ones through the magic of the Internet.  It is my lifeline to Idaho, allowing me to spend hours talking to family and friends.  The best part of it is that it is free to call another skype user, and usually only two cents a minute to call a land line.  We have a built in camera in our computer, which allows us to video chat with our loved ones.  Nothing beats seeing my nephew in real color as he shows off his collection of plastic snakes.  Love it.

There you have it, my current five favorite things that I am using to stave off homesickness.  Not exactly raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens, but you get the idea.

Popular posts from this blog

Vivo en Guayaquil, Pero Mi Corazón Está en Quito

Oh Quito, how I love thee... Dave and I needed a break from the heat and honking of Guayaquil, so we hopped on a quick flight north.   We spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Quito, Ecuador.  Enjoying the many artisan markets, coffee shops, restaurants, mountains, and cool weather.  I wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts, slept with three blankets on the bed, and never left without my jacket, hat, and gloves for the first time in months.  It was pure heaven. Quito is a very tourist friendly destination, with people from all over the world walking through the streets.  It is not uncommon to hear whispers of French, Dutch, German, English, and, of course, Spanish as you travel down its cobblestone avenues.  The people are also so very friendly, pointing out points of interest that they have discovered to any other tourist they see.  People often can be seen giving tips on which restaurants to try or where the nearest bookstore can be found to complete strangers they bump into.  Many ar

Años Viejos, Pyromaniacs, and Fireworks...Oh My

I have to admit, it has been quite awhile since I have actually been awake to ring in the new year and say goodbye to the old.  Dave and I have always been a bit more concerned about the eight hours of sleep necessary to enjoy life rather than seeing the ball drop.  But this year...is different.   It is 12:58 and the neighbor's hired band just started, there are rapid fire explosives (aka fireworks) going off in three minute intervals, and the car alarms throughout our block seem to be answering the loving call of said fireworks.  There will be no eight hours to start off the year for the Richert's this time. Nothing about our experiences in Ecuador could be classified as typical, and New Year's Eve is proving to be no exception.  The evening started out quite and low key, dinner at home with a movie.  There were the occasional firework, but that isn't anything atypical.  I was even contemplating continuing the tradition of snuggling into bed by 10:30.   Before I called

I'm Feeling a Teacher Geek Out Comin' On!

There are four weeks left of school (28 days counting weekends), and usually this benchmark is characterized by complete and utter exhaustion.  A little of the "I just need to make it through this day" attitude.  Past April/Mays of my teaching life have been filled with days where I am just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm tired, the kids are tired, we are all a little bit irritable, and patience doesn't seem to be a virtue that makes it on my list.  By the end of the year, I am so thankful for the break to just physically and emotionally recoup.  But, this year....this year is proving to be different. Thanks to some of my rockstar co-workers, I have been energized in an unaccountable way.  I'm talking a full-fledge teacher geek out, usually only experienced in the first few months of the school year.  Technology people, best motivator ever. Here's the top five technology wonders currently making appearances in the Richert classroom: 1.  Voicethreads: